Nothing brings up the sense of intense discomfort or mind-blowing insight (or both!) quite like re-reading an old bit of writing. Circumstances and perspectives are constantly changing so looking back can sometimes feel like trying on a pair of jeans once loved but are now way too tight.
Today I came across a piece that I wrote back in February 2009. It was in response to one of those endless “answer and pass along to 10 friends” emails. My habit was (and is) generally to auto-junk stuff like that. For whatever reason, I gave this one some expression time. Interesting to me is that aside from possibly #11 and #23, the observations made then stand today. It amuses me that this is pretty much a testament to a myriad of my quirks and smirks, compiled neatly in one list. Here’s what I wrote:
25 Random Things About Me
- I have it on personal authority that Michael Jackson’s excuse of suddenly becoming “light” skinned is not due to vitilago. I know it because I have it. Four small pure white marks: one on each knee and ankle. There is NO WAY MJ uniformly lost pigment!!!
- Sources say that the “Harrington’s of England” were generally rum runners, pirates and horse thieves. Well…some of us had to have some fun right?
- I have worn every size of pants between 4-14 between the ages of 20 and 41.
- Glasses have been an extension of my face since I was 14. Contacts are a big pain in the ass and I’m not getting surgery until the day there is 100% guarantee it will work without still needing reading glasses. Otherwise, what’s the point?
- I’m a commitment-phobe and one of my biggest fears in life is to feel trapped or stuck.
- I was a vegan in my heart long before I chose that path in life.
- The only reason I never joined Greenpeace is that I could never quite envision myself tied naked to a tree swatting away flies. But…I happily sponsored someone else to do it for me.
- Lenny Kravitz consistently turns me on.
- When I was around 14 my friend Kathryn and I decided to take my parents’ car for a joyride. We backed out of the driveway and realized the car was out of gas.
- I am very spiritual in a non-traditional way. Into the mystic so to speak. And it has nothing to do with organized religion.
- Despite my non-traditional life, I would still consider marriage in the right circumstances.
- Every single time I travel over the Brooklyn bridge toward Manhattan I get tingles.
- Jane Goodall is my hero.
- On my 40th birthday I felt as though my “real” life was finally beginning. I was right.
- Generally I am a serious reader, but I admit to reading Diana Gabaldon’s fluffy time traveller series 3 times. And I could read it again.
- My dream is to travel the world meeting people of all cultures and backgrounds, learning from the old world masters.
- When I was in school I always wanted to be a journalist. I looked up to Mike Wallace until the day he sold out on the “Big Tobacco” story.
- The documentary “Earthlings” changed my life forever.
- My dad always said “if you can dance, you can drive a stick”. I still can’t dance, and I still can’t drive a stick.
- Most of my decisions are made by answering yes or no to the question “Will I regret it if I don’t try this?”
- Sometimes I think an eyelift might be a really good idea.
- I have an irrational fear of bees. Yet snakes, spiders and rats are no biggie.
- When I leave the apartment I double check that I locked the door 3 times. Every time.
- The day I got hit by the taxi I truly woke up to the fact life is too short to fuck around.
- When I think that things could not possibly get worse, I remember that I once thought Leif Garrett was my soul mate. A little comedy goes a long way.
Have you done this exercise before? If not, go ahead and try it. Write out 25 things about your life that come to mind in a stream of consciousness. File it away. Who knows, maybe a few years from now you will stumble across it and realize the same thing. Hindsight is sometimes also foresight.